CV of Dr Elliot Shevel, migraine and headache specialist
Dr Shevel studied at the University of the Witwatersrand, where he obtained his BDS (Batchelor of Dental Surgery) in 1967. He then qualified as a specialist Maxillo-facial and Oral Surgeon in 1972 (Dip MFOS), and completed his Medical degree (MB BCh) in 1977.
He has been in private practice as a Maxillo-facial and Oral Surgeon, with a special interest in pain in the craniomandibular and craniocervical regions, and in particular, primary headache pain of muscular, vascular, and neural origin, since 1973. In 1992, Dr Shevel founded The Headache Clinic, South Africa, with branches in Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town. The Headache Clinic is a multidisciplinary practice dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of migraine and other primary headaches.
His dual medical/dental training has enabled him approach the problem of headaches and migraines from both medical and dental perspectives. It is this amalgamation of knowlege that has made possible his development of new and effective treatments for headaches and migraines.
Elected Fellow, International College of Craniomandibular Orthopaedics 1999
Chairman, South African Headache Society, the South African division of the International Headache Society (2003-)
National Councillor, South African Dental Association (2005-)
- International Headache Society
- American Headache Society
- European Headache Federation
- International Conference of Craniomandibular Orthopaedics
- International Association of Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgeons
- Journal of Neurology
- Medical Science Monitor
- Headache (Official Journal of the American Headache Society)
- International Journal of Clinical Practice
Dr Shevel has presented numerous papers at International Conferences with particular reference to migraine and headache:
- Argentina XI International Conference on Maxillo-facial and Oral Surgery – Buenos Aires 1992
- Austria VI International Congress on Headache in Children and Adolescents – Vienna April 2004
- Czech Rep 3rd World Congress on Controversies in Neurology – Prague 2009
- France Video-Forum Europeen de Chirurgie Maxillo-Faciale – Toulouse 1994
- Hungary XII International Conference on Maxillo-facial and Oral Surgery – Budapest 1996
- Israel X International Conference on Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery – Jerusalem 1989
- Italy X Congress of the International Headache Society – Rome 2003
- Netherlands 7th Headache Congress of the European Headache Federation – Rotterdam 2004.
- Spain 8th Headache Congress of the European Headache Federation – Valencia 2006.
- Taiwan Second Asian Congress on Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery – Taipeh 1993
- Zimbabwe Invited speaker at the Zimbabwe Dental Association Annual Congress – Victoria Falls 1992
Dr Shevel is fluent in English and Afrikaans, and has a working knowledge of Setswana, Sesotho, Zulu, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Hebrew, Greek, and Turkish.
To contact The Headache Clinic click on Banish Migraines and Tension Headaches.
Back to the Tension Headache and Migraine Home Page